Associate/Senior Associate, Tech Venture Capital Fund, Cambridge, UK
Our client is a leading venture capital fund focused on innovative tech businesses in the Cambridge ecosystem. With a sterling track record and experienced team, they are a preferred investor for the University of Cambridge. Around half of the portfolio comprises companies that have spun out of the University. The fund enjoys strong relations with local entrepreneurs, academics, and researchers, and prides itself on being one of the most academic-friendly investors in the UK. With this in mind, the focus is on IP-rich tech businesses that leverage cutting-edge research.
With significant AuM and ambitious plans for future growth, the team is highly capitalised and actively looking to deploy its resources into innovative startups. The portfolio comprises over 25 businesses, and the fund looks to make around 5 new investments per year. Typically, initial cheque sizes range from £250,000 to £10 million, and they often invest in follow-on rounds too.
The fund now seeks to bolster the team with a high-calibre Investment Associate or Senior Associate with a focus on enterprise software and B2B technologies who can add value across all parts of the investment process. A rich understanding of technology will be important, and knowledge of the Cambridge ecosystem will be highly additive.
- Identify and source investment opportunities by meeting with entrepreneurs, academics and businesses that have a link to the Cambridge ecosystem
- Support due diligence through the investment process, including technical and market diligence, reference calls, and analysis of unit economics
- Research potential investments that will likely require technical due diligence and scenario brainstorming
- Support the Investment team in preparation of Investment Committee recommendations
- Support portfolio companies as they grow their business. This could include analysing competitors, market opportunities, business planning, recruitment and financial modelling
- Tech-focused work experience at a start-up, a technology business, or ideally in early-stage tech investing
- Strong preference for candidates with VC investing experience – a track record of investing in tech businesses will be highly additive
- Raw intellectual firepower proven by strong academic track record. Likely to have an undergraduate degree in computer science or engineering.
- Demonstrable passion for technology, and keen interest in the Cambridge ecosystem